OBJECTIVES COVERED (pupils will learn ..)
SUGGESTED MAIN ACTIVITIES:
DOWNLOADABLE VERSION, RESOURCES and LINKS:
Who Mary Anning was and what she did
Why her work was so important to our understanding of evolution
Allow pupils to research Mary Anning on the internet, or use our Lesson 2: Mary Anning powerpoint to introduce her.
1. DESIGN A PERSUASIVE POSTER: (INSTRUCTIONS TO PUPILS CONTAINED IN POWERPOINT) ask pupils to design a poster using persuasive language, to encourage people to visit Mary’s stall.
2. CARTOON STRIP: Draw a cartoon strip of Mary’s life, using either the powerpoint or other information gathered (the BBC has a really good section, in notes).
3. WRITE AN INSTRUCTION TEXT: work as a group to plan a set of instructions for uncovering a fossils from the ground. Discuss what you would need to include e.g. take care to uncover it gradually; don't use hammers when you get close to the fossil; log down exactly the position of every piece and where it was found. Then write the instructions independently and come back to compare the versions.
4. GEOGRAPHY/ICT: Find Lyme regis on the map and see where it is along the 'Jurassic Coast' heritage site. Find out why the coast is called this and draw it on a map of Britain. The website http://jurassiccoast.org has some good information on this.
5. WORDSEARCH: use the supplied Mary Anning pdf wordsearch from our y6 evolution wordsearch pack.
Work through the Mary Anning quiz at the end of the powerpoint.
LESSON NO and TITLE:
2 of 6: MARY ANNING: the unsung hero of the story of Evolution.